Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

DJ SPHiNX INTERVIEW

 We sent a batch of questions to one of our favorite Detroit selectors, the incomparable DJ Sphinx, to learn more about their musical journey, artistic influences, and goals for the future. Read on as Sphinx reveals some of their visual art inspirations and current, local favorite records.

 

MM: How did you initially begin DJing? What drew you to start practicing the craft and how did it progress? Was it a process of finding your sound, or did you have a vision for what you wanted to play from the jump?

SPHINX: When I started, I had been pursuing a degree in Fine Art and Illustration, and for a while had been toying with the idea of becoming more involved with music. I think over time I gradually developed this inherent and undeniable urge to explore new means of creative expression, outside of what I was being instructed to do for my degree.

Eternal Entity piece by Sphinx 

Examples of Sphinx's tattoo art, more can be found on her tattoo page     
                         
As an artist, it was a matter of keeping myself motivated, a desire to challenge myself with learning+communicating through a new medium, and intentionally shifting my focus towards what was really making me feel passionate, which was electronic music.

I bought my first controller (a Numark Mixtrack Pro) in late 2018 or 2019 and just sort of tunnel visioned at that point, teaching myself whenever I had the time outside of class. My selections at the time were all over the place; I was learning basic mixing principles, with tracks off of Hypnus Records, Shall Not Fade, and Steel City Dance Disks.

Truthfully, I feel like the process of finding my "sound" as a DJ is an evolving concept, as is my music taste in general. Although, I've always liked to analyze what draws me in sonically, and how different elements in music can layer/play on each other to elicit an emotional reaction.

When I moved back to Detroit, I felt a clearer sense of what I felt energetically aligned with, as a DJ.

In what ways does being based in Detroit influence and inspire you? What does being part of the local community mean to you? 

I feel incredibly grateful to be based here. I had to suddenly move house from Grand Rapids to Detroit in 2021 under some personally difficult circumstances. In the bigger picture, that was a necessary change and pivotal for the growth of my work as a multimedia creative.

My whole perspective on electronic music changed when I moved here. In a short period, I really became more ingrained with the ongoing history and legacy of Detroit music, and the people who are part of it. To me, being in this community means respecting and recognizing those who came up before the current generation of DJs. It also means pushing the envelope in terms of what we are doing as a collective to bring people closer together, especially in a society designed, in many ways, to keep us apart.

photo: @dylanp

I think encouraging self-expression and healing through music is, historically, a vital part of the human experience. To that point, keeping those experiences close to our community is vital for our understanding and connecting with one another, in ways that our usual language can't reach.

How would you describe your DJ sound/style? Are there any states or feelings you're trying to evoke or certain themes that run through your sets? 

I'd like to think my mixing style is very fluid, yet always anchored by an ongoing curiosity and respect for the practice. I aim to bring out tunes that will impact the listener; wherever they're at physically/mentally/emotionally, which poses a unique challenge every time.

I generally approach sets with a lot of consideration towards themes of expanded consciousness, intimacy, and boundary dissolution. I hold the belief that dance floors can be healing environments, so in any case I aim to facilitate experiences that are at once expansive, meditative, hypnotizing, and groovy. I believe that curating a narrative that fits the setting is an indicator of a really good, memorable set. I like to play around with story arcs, energetic shifts, long blends, and moments of tension/release.

Is there a specific set you hold dearly in your memory? Are there any highlight sets you played that reaffirmed your dedication to your craft?

Definitely. The Great Beyond (Intellephunk / Enemy Records) this past summer was a transformative experience. I was sharing a lineup with some talented friends, plus some personally inspiring, forward-thinking DJs from around the world. I felt super grateful to participate, as it's one of my favorite festivals, in a beautiful outdoor location, with some of the best production/sound systems I have ever heard. It's like a proper techno gathering, and at the same time open-minded enough to encourage getting a little weird and trippy at times, which is ideal. 


I'd highlight my set at Tec Troit this summer as well. I felt honored to be invited to play, considering this festival is very close to my heart and home. Connecting with those doing the work to keep Detroit Techno alive and well was very inspiring, to say the least, and deeply influenced my feelings of dedication to the music.

As a radio show that exclusively plays music from Detroit, we love to know what local music Detroiters love. What would you say are three of your absolute favorite Detroit albums/records?

Here's what I've been loving recently:

Love Letters - Falling Star EP from Interdimensional Transmissions: BMG's Morse Mix struck a chord with me at No Way Back; it hits really deeply over a good system.


Celestial EP from Soiree Records: I've been digging this label a lot. I love this sort of jazzy, dreamlike mood. Drivetrain's Moonlight & You (the Drum & Bass mix) is intoxicating.


Biblical Proportion - Detroit Girls (Remixes): My friend Moses of Biblical Proportion gifted me this record. Every mix here is stellar and maintains that satisfyingly raw Detroit-style groove.



What has been inspiring you lately?

I'm inspired a lot by mythology, which is directly related to my name.

Being an illustrator and tattooer as well as a DJ, I'm visually inclined. Similarly to my music interests, I like things that are dark and weird. In particular, I'm drawn to the work of H.R. Giger, Yoshitaka Amano, and David Lynch.

Yoshitaka Amano piece

H.R. Giger piece

Musically, this year I've felt really inspired hearing Rene Wise's DJ set at Meta Ta Physika, Derek Plaslaiko at No Way Back, and Gigi FM at The Great Beyond.

I’m continually amazed and deeply inspired by my DJ/producer/artist friends. <3

Are there any goals you have with DJing you’d like to achieve?  

I love to travel, so experiencing and networking in other club scenes, nationally and internationally, is something I'd love to do, especially in places like Chicago and New York.

I would like to play extended club sets, like 3 hours or more, and really challenge myself to deliver in that department. More long-form B2Bs would also be cool.

I'd also love to collaborate with photographers and video artists more in the near future! I’m entertaining the idea of bringing a more visual element to my practice as a DJ.

And do you have anything coming up you're excited about? Anything that you’d like to plug?

I have some cool gigs lined up this fall, but I'll spare the details of those until they're officially announced. ;)

Plugging my recent guest mix I recorded for my friends at Primal Colors Detroit! This was recently selected as Resident Advisor's Mix Of the Day. Had a lot of fun venturing into hypnotic, acid-heavy territory with this one,  and I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you!





No comments:

Post a Comment

YOUNG MUSCLE INTERVIEW

Back in August, we sent Detroit music enthusiast and journalists breW  out to Red Door Digital with a Zoom Recorder to have some conversatio...